Current Watches and Warnings
Washington, North Coast
Coastal Flood Advisory, High Surf Advisory, Areal Flood Watch
Statement as of 1:45 PM PST on December 19, 2014
Expires 7:00 AM EST on December 22, 2014
1234 PM PST Fri Dec 19 2014
... High surf advisory now in effect until 4 PM PST Saturday...
... Coastal Flood Advisory in effect from 8 am to 1 PM PST
The National Weather Service in Seattle has issued a coastal
Flood Advisory... which is in effect from 8 am to 1 PM PST
Saturday. The coastal Flood Watch is no longer in effect.
* Timing... large energetic waves will move onto the Washington
coast Friday night and Saturday. The large swell will combine
with a high tide to produce minor coastal flooding around the
time of high tide Saturday morning.
* Impacts... high surf will make it dangerous to fish or observe
waves from rocks Friday night through Saturday. Sneaker waves
could surprise unwary beach walkers. Significant wave run up on
beaches is likely and some beach erosion is possible. During the
time of high tide on Saturday morning the combination of high
tide and large waves could send some waves over jetties and
other structures. Minor flooding of low areas near the coast is
possible. Several inches of water could collect in streets in
* Predicted tide... the tide table high tide at Westport is 10.2
feet at 1052 am Saturday. The tide table high tide at La Push is
9.2 feet at 1028 am Saturday. Wind and pressure will likely make
the actual high tide at each spot one half to one foot higher.
* Seas... 18 to 21 feet Friday night and Saturday morning. Seas of
this height generally cause problems only on beach areas.
However during the high tide Saturday morning there could be
additional minor flooding as waves crash over levees and other
A high surf advisory means that high surf will affect beaches in
the advisory area... producing rip currents and localized beach
A coastal Flood Advisory indicates that onshore winds and tides
will combine to generate flooding of low areas along the shore.
... Flood Watch in effect from Saturday afternoon through late
* portions of western Washington... including the following
counties... Grays Harbor... Clallam... Jefferson... Skagit...
Whatcom... King... Lewis... Mason... Pierce... Snohomish... Thurston.
* From Saturday afternoon through late Sunday night
* heavy rain is forecast over western Washington Saturday and
Sunday... especially in the mountains. Strong westerly flow
aloft will bring heavy rain at times to the coast and Olympics
on Saturday. Heavy rain will spread into the Cascades Saturday
afternoon. Models currently taper rain over the Olympics on
Sunday but keep heavy rain going in the Cascades through Sunday
night... especially over the Cascades from about King County
south. The total model rainfall over about 48 hours from
Saturday morning through Sunday night amounts to around three
to six inches over the Olympics and central Cascades with a
nine- inch bulls-eye over Mount Rainier. Rainfall over The
Lowlands will generally be an inch or less as the westerly flow
causes a rainshadow east of the Olympics.
* These rainfall amounts are enough to cause flooding. At this
time the rivers most likely to flood are the ones flowing off
the Cascades of King... Pierce... and Lewis counties... as well as
the unusually flood-prone Skokomish River in Mason County. Any
flooding would likely begin Saturday night on the Olympics and
Sunday for the Cascades... with crests Sunday night or Monday.
The exact position of the stream of moisture is uncertain so
this outlook covers the entire olympic peninsula and all of the
A Flood Watch means conditions are favorable for flooding but
flooding is not imminent or occurring. Monitor the latest
forecasts from the National Weather Service and be ready to act
quickly if flooding is observed or a warning is issued.
High Wind Watch
Statement as of 3:49 AM PST on December 19, 2014
Expires 3:00 AM EST on December 21, 2014
... High wind watch in effect from late tonight through Saturday
The National Weather Service in Seattle has issued a high wind
watch... which is in effect from late tonight through Saturday
* Some affected locations... Neah Bay... La Push... Forks... Pacific
Beach... Ocean Shores... Westport... Hoquiam... and the ocean
* timing... winds will rise tonight... peaking on Saturday... then
diminish Saturday night.
* Wind... south wind 20 to 40 mph with local gusts to 45 to 55 mph.
* Impacts... strong winds may cause power outages and knock down
tree limbs and small and weak trees.
A high wind watch means there is the potential for a damaging
Statement as of 12:30 AM PST on December 19, 2014
... Record high temperature tied at Bellingham Airport yesterday...
A record high temperature of 56 degrees was tied at Bellingham WA
Airport on Dec 18th. The old record of 56 was last set in 1979.
- Arkansas - Record Report
- California - High Surf Advisory , High Surf Advisory, Coastal Flood Advisory , Wind Advisory , Winter Weather Advisory , Beach Hazard Statement , Public Information Statement
- Colorado - Winter Storm Watch , Public Information Statement
- Florida - Public Information Statement
- Georgia - Public Information Statement
- Guam - High Surf Advisory
- Idaho - Winter Storm Watch , Winter Weather Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Kansas - Public Information Statement
- Louisiana - Flood Watch , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Maine - Record Report
- Mississippi - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Montana - High Wind Watch , High Wind Warning , Winter Storm Watch , Winter Weather Advisory , Winter Weather Statement
- Nevada - Winter Weather Advisory
- New Mexico - Public Information Statement
- North Carolina - Special Statement
- North Dakota - Dense Fog Advisory
- Oregon - High Surf Advisory, Areal Flood Watch , High Surf Advisory, Areal Flood Watch , Areal Flood Watch , Areal Flood Watch, High Surf Advisory , Wind Advisory , Special Statement
- Tennessee - Special Statement
- Texas - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Utah - Winter Storm Watch , Public Information Statement
- Virginia - Special Statement
- Washington - Coastal Flood Advisory, High Surf Advisory, Areal Flood Watch , Areal Flood Watch , Areal Flood Watch, High Surf Advisory , High Wind Watch , Winter Weather Advisory , Special Statement , Record Report
- Wyoming - High Wind Watch , Winter Storm Watch , Dense Fog Advisory , Special Statement