Current Watches and Warnings
Washington, San Juan County
High Wind Warning
Statement as of 2:53 PM PST on February 05, 2016
Expires 10:00 PM EST on February 05, 2016
... High Wind Warning remains in effect until 7 PM PST this evening...
* timing... very strong south winds will continue through early
* Winds... south wind 30 to 40 mph with gusts to 60 mph.
* Impacts... winds of this strength usually blow down weak trees and
break large tree limbs. In addition to causing power outages...
falling trees and limbs can result in serious injury or death.
A High Wind Warning means a hazardous high wind event is expected or
occurring. Sustained wind speeds of at least 40 mph or gusts of
58 mph or more can lead to property damage.
Public Information Statement
Statement as of 10:30 AM PST on February 05, 2016
... February 5th is National weatherperson's day...
Today is National weatherperson's day. This day commemorates the
birth of John Jeffries in 1744 who was one of america's first
weather observers. Jeffries began taking daily weather observations
in Boston in 1774 and took the first balloon observation in 1784.
This is a day to recognize the men and women who collectively
provide americans with the best weather... water... and climate
forecasts and warning services of any nation.
Many take weather information for granted. Turn on a light
switch... you get light. Turn on your television or radio... or check
a web site or a smart phone app and you get the weather forecast.
Behind those forecasts are dedicated meteorologists and
weathercasters vigilantly helping you plan your day and issuing
warnings to help keep everyone safe.
The primary mission of the National Weather Service (nws) is to
provide the American public with the best possible warning service
to help save lives and property. Your local NWS forecast office
staff gather weather data and forecast guidance to issue weather and
river forecasts and warnings. This effort also includes marine and
aviation forecasts... and forecasts to help firefighters control
wildfires and emergency management officials address all kinds of
hazards. Extensive climate records help
engineers... architects... researchers... insurance
companies... utilities and many more.
NWS staff are quite dedicated. As an example... during the East Coast
snow storm two weeks ago, many NWS staff were unable to go home or
other staff were unable to relieve them due to the heavy snow. These
staff remained in their forecast offices... taking naps while working
long hours... all to serve their community with the latest forecast
and warning information.
The NWS couldn't accomplish its mission without a diverse group of
partners. Nationwide... more than 9000 volunteer cooperative
observers take regular measurements of temperature... precipitation
and other data used by forecasters and climatologists. Over 400000
volunteer storm spotters are trained by the NWS to provide visual
reports of severe weather conditions to forecast offices and local
emergency management officials.
Volunteer amateur radio operators provide critical emergency
communications during severe weather. In addition... there are
numerous supplemental snow and rainfall observers that report via
the community collaborative rain... hail... and snow (cocorahs)
Most of the colorful weather graphics seen on television and other
sources come from a valuable member of america's weather team.
Commercial weather companies enhance the presentation of the NWS
data and information for their clients in the media and in many
weather-sensitive industries... and provide customized forecasts and
services for clients.
Television weathercasters are the most visible members of america's
weather team. They are the trusted faces people turn to for weather
information... and relay official NWS watches and warnings for
hazardous weather. Finally... researchers develop ways to enhance
forecast and warning accuracy further.
So on this February 5th National weatherperson's day... thank all
those in the NWS... the volunteers... researchers and partners in
television and commercial weather services for their contributions
in keeping everyone safe from whatever nature offers. This joint
effort helps achieve a weather-ready nation.
- Alabama - Flood Warning , Freeze Warning
- Alaska - Wind Advisory , Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- Arkansas - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory , Public Information Statement
- California - High Surf Advisory , Wind Advisory , Beach Hazard Statement , Public Information Statement
- Colorado - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Connecticut - Special Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Delaware - Public Information Statement
- Florida - Flood Warning , Beach Hazard Statement , Coastal Hazard Statement , Freeze Warning , Record Report
- Georgia - Flood Warning , Freeze Warning , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Hawaii - Special Statement
- Idaho - Winter Weather Advisory , Air Quality Alert
- Illinois - Flood Warning
- Indiana - Flood Warning
- Iowa - Blizzard Watch
- Kentucky - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory
- Louisiana - Flood Warning , Public Information Statement
- Maine - Winter Weather Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Maryland - Flood Warning , Public Information Statement
- Massachusetts - High Wind Advisory , Special Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Michigan - Flood Advisory
- Minnesota - Blizzard Watch , Winter Storm Watch
- Mississippi - Flood Warning , Public Information Statement
- Missouri - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory
- Montana - High Wind Warning , High Wind Watch , Wind Advisory , Winter Weather Advisory
- Nevada - Record Report
- New Hampshire - Public Information Statement
- New Jersey - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- New York - Special Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- North Carolina - Flood Warning , Coastal Flood Watch , High Wind Watch , Special Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- North Dakota - High Wind Watch , High Wind Warning , Blizzard Watch
- Oregon - Wind Advisory , High Wind Warning
- Pennsylvania - Public Information Statement
- Puerto Rico - Coastal Hazard Statement
- Rhode Island - Special Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- South Carolina - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- South Dakota - High Wind Watch , High Wind Warning , Blizzard Watch
- Tennessee - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory , Special Statement
- Texas - Flood Warning , Fire Weather Warning , Fire Weather Watch
- Utah - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Vermont - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Virgin Islands - Coastal Hazard Statement
- Virginia - Flood Warning , Special Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Washington - Areal Flood Watch , Wind Advisory , High Wind Warning , Winter Weather Advisory , Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- West Virginia - Record Report
- Wyoming - High Wind Warning , High Wind Watch